Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tree Trolls

Finally time I bring disc golf into this too.

I thought after a few years, that the tree trolls may have moved on to a different course, but no.

On my second throw I was about 10 feet from the tree line that is basically one row of pine trees, and about 60 feet from the 20 feet wide gap in the tree line that counts as the fairway. I was debating between just chucking one through the trees and having a wide open up shot, or trying to hit the gap with an anhyzer. After the wife's persuasion and me saying why not, I let it fly. with just a tad bit too much power. I watch the disc go past the gap and watched it fly about 5 feet away from the first tree on the other side of the gap, I thought it turned just on the other side of that tree.

I walk up there expecting it to be on the ground just past the tree where I saw it fly to. IT'S NOT THERE, NO! THAT'S MY LAST CHALLENGER! is all that's going through my head. My wife and I both cover the whole area about a 120 foot circle, looking around the trees that I thought it went into, way past those trees in case it hit and rolled, after wall it was anhyzering. Keep looking, cutting myself up in the brush for what felt like hours, when finally my wife points to it in the first tree past the gap, that I would have sworn it went around. I try shaking the tree to get the disc out, but no luck. By this time it's past official sunset and the park closes at dark, so I am forced to leave the disc.

I know that it's the tree trolls again. Although nobody has ever seen one, many have witnessed the havoc they cause on the disc golf course. One such example is watching a disc rip through the tree branches and not get stuck, but by the time you get to where you expect the disc to have landed, it's in the first tree a few feet from the tee pad. It is believed these creatures use plastic for shelter, since it is much more water resistant than pine needle thatch. Discs must also be a food source for them, as there have been many discs lost in the trees. Unless they have a much higher population than what everyone speculates, in which case I worn everyone to keep a very close eye on their throws and even use spotters.

I am going back tomorrow with some water bottles to try throwing up in the tree to knock it free, since I didn't want to risk another disc being snatched my one of those nasty trolls. I really hope it's still there and that they used this one for shelter and not food; as that is the last of my stash of ghost tournament stamped pro-d challengers.

Please, if you have tree trolls at a course near you, leave a comment on this and we can try taking care of this problem before they start getting so over populated they grab discs right out of the bag when we aren't looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment