Sunday, March 18, 2012

Getting the trike, but have to wait again..

It just now occurred to me that I forgot to post anything about this.

I make the hour drive Friday up to the bike shop, ask about the TerraTrike Rover with a 20" wheel, since I don't see it on the floor. The sales person responds with "I'm sorry, but it sold just before you came in." At this point I am thoroughly confused. I tell him how I called and asked for them to hold it, and would make a down payment if needed. He looks it up in the computer, and there's the note, but no trike left to sell. GRRR!!!! However, they plan on picking up more this coming week, or next week at the latest.

They had the 26" wheel variation, but couldn't sell that to me if I wanted, since they needed one on the sale floor. I did get to test ride it, over a mile, and it was very comfortable and no pain or strain on any of the joints. This test also provided quite a bit of insight into what wouldn't work for me.
  • The extra seat height was negligible, in fact the only way I could even tell was to look at it beside a customer's 20" that I had the chance to buy, more on that later.
  • The lower clearance for the crank was very noticeable. If my feet were in about the same spot that clipless pedals would put them at, they came very close, and even scraped once at low speed. 
  • Clipless pedals are definitely needed. HSP leaves me without enough strength in my ankles, so my I was saying a little prayer and hoping they stayed on the pedals. I even tried strapping them on with a bungee cord, but it still didn't help. They kept working their way toward the outside of the pedal or I was kicking the crank, either way a bad spot to be in.
  • I was only able to get into 5th gear once. Even on the completely flat bike path, the 26" rear wheel just raises the gear range too high. I was spending most of the ride in 3rd or 4th.
After the test ride, I get back to the shop, and stand around for a while. I'm still sore from the standing, but they were very busy. While waiting for the same sales person, somebody brought in their approximately year old Rover for a tune up. I think no big deal and let her go ahead thinking that she would just schedule it and go. I was wrong. She started asking about more gear options and looked at the Ramblers, at which point the sales person mentioned that they do trade in and there was somebody who just happened to be looking for a Rover (hey, that's me!) after figuring out a fair price, I was worried about warranty.
While figuring out price and talking the option over with my wife, there's another customer, so the sales person gets side tracked and didn't call TerraTrike to ask about warranty. After finally getting him to use the phone and figuring out how it works. Warranties are non transferable, but they do offer a 3 year warranty for $150. That, plus the tune up, and the price of the used one, I was getting close to the price of a brand new trike, with better features. So I declined it. He proceeds to help her out with accessories, while I stand around some more. It's been about 2 hours to this point.
Finally, my turn, now that it's only an hour before closing time. I start going over options for clipless pedals and shoes and options I would like on the trike. I ask him if I can get anything extra, or discounted, since the trike was sold and I had been there so long. He said the most he could do was discount a couple of accessories. Most things in the store were marked up high enough, that even with the discount, in some cases it would have been 20-30% more than what I would pay online, with shipping included. He talked me into some pedals that were already clearanced, that I have since figured out were more expensive than what they are even at the expensive shop here in town. Moving on to shoes, the ones he had in store barely fit and weren't entirely comfortable, so he spent another half hour looking up if he could get any sandals from his distributor, but only found one that was ladies.
By this point it's been over 3 hours, from getting side tracked and helping other customers, so I just give him a down payment on the trike and pedals. Here's to hoping that there's a positive update by Friday.

P.S. I am not bad mouthing the shop (Elmore Cycle and Fitness) even though it took forever and their prices are high. Their staff is very courteous, and the previous times I've been in there everything was very efficient.

2 comments:

  1. your the dude on brol that is going to try to do everything cheaply...cheap pedals and complaining about the cost of things??? well triking is not cheap, it costs even more than cycling because of the cost of good trikes...a TT is okay, but it is a starter trike...you will either get out of triking or wish you spent over 3k for a good trike - cheap fat bastards are not good candidates for triking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, your comment is rude, unhelpful & unnecessary. You didn't even have the guts or decency to use your BROL name.

      Delete