Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Phase One: Operation Script - Complete


   I have a degenerative neuromuscular condition known as Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis or HSP, read more here if you want. This, coupled with being 6'4" 290lbs means that I need something to get in shape, without being too strenuous. 

   After some searching, I found the TerraTrike Rover with it's tall seat height and 400lb weight limit, meant that getting on and off wouldn't be too challenging, plus it would be able to hold me, plus gear without being close to overloaded. I test rode one at a local dealer, which went well, but felt that a lower gear would be beneficial for any hills I might encounter. 

   While looking at what my options might be, I found the Utah Trikes Rover "X5" with a 26" rear wheel, this would raise the seat up another inch, woo-hoo, but also raise the lowest gear significantly. However, with putting on a triple chain ring crank, I can achieve a lower gear than the Rover 8 speed, but still have the seat raised that extra inch. I thought this would be perfect, but then I saw the price, and can't afford that on disability. 

   More web searching (I've got too much time on my hands) and I came across a thing on TerraTrike's web site, saying that medicare helps pay for trikes in some cases. So, I go to the neurologist today, and he seemed thrilled at the idea of something to get me exercise, that works with my condition. 

Phase One: Operation Script has been completed.

4 comments:

  1. Quite interesting reading so far! Am really curious to see if you can get Medicare to do it. If they will, you should try for a top of the line model: ICE or HP

    A hint or two fer ya:

    Contact your hospital's disability department or whatever they call it. They are the ones that help the recently disabled to regain function or to assist with daily living. They may help you with knowing how to navigate the system.

    You can also find numerous different groups to aid/assist you in your area, it does help if you are in a larger city or have one nearby. Try groups that are disabled, everything from the blind to veterans. These are people that have already been through the insane process and may have some great tips to pass on to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the hints, I'll have to check on those.

    As for going for top end, that won't be happening. I need the seat height and weight capacity of the Rover. Even though the seat is near an office chair in height, I still have some trouble with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just in case you were wondering, picked up the site from your post on BROL.

    Seriously, though, the new line of ICE trikes, specifically the Adventure HD has a 325 pound weight and you actually sit higher than many of the subcompact cars on the road. It has been said by quite a few people that the weight capacity on ICE trikes is very conservative.

    Our situations are somewhat similar in that I am slowly recovering from a crushed foot after I fed it into a large machine. You would not believe how limited the information is for those people injured at work. I almost want to write a book for people to read before they ever get their first job about this nightmare. Dealing with all the BS at Social Security, Workman's Comp, Unemployment, doctors, lawyers and judges would have turned my hair white if it wasn't already. If you didn't have patience before, you will certainly learn it now or you can go bonkers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ended up with an ICE Adventure HD, are you a clairvoyant?

    ReplyDelete